Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sparks Fly, I hit the ground running, thumb in the air at the side of road...

The theme song to my new journey and a song on everyone of Brian's mix Cd's. I hit the road, with no itinerary, no plan, just ideas and that is all. I thought about taking a road trip and Tuesday night I packed my bag late got in the car and drove. I stopped in Iowa City to stay with a friend and then got up today and headed to Indianapolis.

This is the first time in my life I literally have nothing to do, know one to worry about, nothing holding me back. So I decided to take advantage of it. Brian and I loved going on road trips. Our last road trip was to Kansas City to watch his beloved Chiefs. We had so much fun sitting in the car, talking, jamming out, sleeping- me. The idea of going on the road by myself scares the PEE out of me. It is completely out of Stacey's comfort zone. I have never gone any where by myself and now I'm thinking about going half way across the country on a whim. Why not? Life is short. This trip I know will be very empowering for me. It will show me I can do it. I can survive on my own. When Brian and I got married and my parent's took us to the airport for our honeymoon I cried as I went through security. I was so scared to go without my parents. They were my secuirty blanket. If something went wrong on a trip my dad was always there to fix it. After that trip I learned to relay on Brian, he was my new blanket. Now I'm my own security blanket. That is scary to me. But I have to prove to myself I can do it.

I didn't sleep last night in anticipation and sheer nerves. What am I going to do? Do you know how hard it is to pack when you absolutely now clue what you will be doing? I have a suitcase and a bag. I brought 7 pairs of shoes- flats, red heels :), flip flops, sneakers, etc. I have a few pairs of sweat pants, a swim suit, t-shirts, jeans, and nice shirts. Hopefully, I find something to do or go with all of that.

Any suggestions on places to go? I'm headed to Knoxville, TN for the weekend and no clue after that. I have to be home by March 20th and that is about all I know.

It feels good to do something like this. Until this past weekend I hadn't gone to the store to buy myself something since Brian was diagnosed. I had a massage in which I used a gift card he gave me the Christmas before, I bought one pair of shoes out of pure need becuase I couldn't walk my old ones were giving such bad blisters. This past weekend I treated myself to two pairs of shoes on sale and one shirt on sale. I found a lot of ways to cut spending when Brian was diagnosed. And anything that was 'want' went out the window so that stuff we 'needed' could be purchased. However, we always found ways and room to let ourselves have fun and I will never regret how we spent the past 10 months.

Since the time Brian broken his foot until he passed I literally dropped everything to be at his side. Every appointment I was at, every minute in the hosptial, I was giving him baths and feeding him at the end. I literally did it all and with that came little sleep and little time for myself. So this now is my time, my time to relax, catch up on sleep, and re-discover myself.

As I drove from Iowa City to Indianapolis. I listened to Cd after Cd of Brian's music. While all very similar, I felt him talking to me. Tellling me to go, just go, just drive. So that is what I did. I stopped once for gas otherwise it was 6.5 hours of straight driving, listening to music, and dancing. I have created some really sweet moves. I have perfected the head nod very well. At times when people were driving next to me and I couldn't dance- out of pure embarassment- I would twirl my pretzel. Yep the pretzel twirl new move, check. You can only use it in major cities when there is more road traffic.

Sometimes I got bored or lonely but when those times came I would purporsely take a wrong turn so my Garmin would talk to me. I personally like the British accent for Garmin, it is pretty funny when she tells you to 'turn now' 8 times in a row and I can tell that Garmin is getting mad but I keep purposefully not turning- becuase I'm far superior at navigating then her. "Recalculating" in Garmin computer code I'm pretty sure is "you idiot, why are you so stupid."

Well I stopped in Indianapolis to see my grandma so I'm going to visit with her. Who knows where I will be tomorrow or what I will be doing. Scary but yet exciting.

13 comments:

  1. Road trips are the bomb! There is nothing better than playing some good music and going and getting lost for a bit. I hope that you have an awesome time on your trip Stace. Save some gas money for the Coors factory in Colorado!

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What you're doing sounds so awesome!
    Drive on lady, do whatever you feel like doing.
    Rick and I love Nashville! Maybe you can makea stop there. Rick's Dad and step-mom live in Clarksville, TN it is northwest of Nashville. You could stay with them if you needed a place for a night. Just a thought. Let me know if you're interested.
    In three weeks I'm probably going to AZ with my friend Savannah to visit Rose and Craig for a few days. The thought of sunshine and freedom sounds blissful!
    Music and road trips are such a great combo! And they were two amazing things that you and Brian loved so much.
    Have a blast and soak it up!

    Love, Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your journey brings you to Alabama, you are VERY welcome to hang at my apartment :) The spare bed is made up, just say the word...
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your drive should bring you to Virginia, you've got a place to stay with me. :) be safe and enjoy the freedom. Roadtrips are always good for a mind numbing adventure!

    Oh and if you're not up for visiting people and VA; Boonsboro, MD is an adorable small town with a unique bookstore and bed and breakfast if you're interested in that sort of thing!

    Love,
    Chelsea <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try the Australian accent on the Garmin....it's the best.

    I always signed off each convo w/ Brian as "Dance dance dance"....b/c sometimes you just have to let go of everything else and dance and free your mind.

    Miss you already, so do the plants (yes I'm so bored I made friends with the plants). Just remember to give me a two day heads up before you journey home so I have adequate time to clean the apt and do all my permanent chores which I can guarantee I will neglect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Stacey...
    Be free and enjoy...Virginia is always here for you!
    While your driving....Look for the brightest star to guide you and he will ;)
    Hugs!
    Aunt Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacey,
    Have fun! I think you should definitely head out West to the bright lights of Vegas!!!

    Love,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the spirit of your husband would be well matched in Orlando Florida! A little roller coaster is good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  9. NYC would love a little Stacey Pritchard in it's life;) Just keep driving EAST! I would even give you my bed! Safe travels and enjoy!

    Karly

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Garmin (I prefer to spell it Garman) will always be there for you when you're lonely. :) HaHa, I know Brian's up there laughing at that one!
    I so admire you.
    Love you Stace!
    -Gmamma

    ReplyDelete
  11. one word "ALTON" come visit :)

    Safe travels and may you have an amazing time seeing America!

    Fidd

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awesome you're doing this Stacey. Once I took a map, a dart and a tent and did the same thing at the same point in my life.
    I can so relate to just going somewhere where no one knows your challenges and just meets you where you are.
    Love the Garmin tease...those things need to be controlled sometimes and not controlling.

    The United States is such an amazing place, just take the road less traveled and have a blast. And remember, never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ;)

    Many hugs!
    Aunt Wendy
    PS, do you think two day notice is enough for Ally?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Try to enjoy Stacey! safe and travels and good times are wished for you!

    Love you!

    Cousin Bridgett

    ReplyDelete