Wednesday, January 5, 2011

If it is not one thing it is DEFINATELY another...

Monday's chemo went well. Brian was pretty tired as usual. We have had a lot of appointments the past few days which did not leave him a lot of time to nap. Between chemo, radiation, and orthopedic surgeon appointments we spend more time in the car then we do at home. Although chemo went better on Monday we still ran into problems.

Brian got up around 1 am Tuesday morning not feeling well and by the time he woke me up at 3:30, I took his temp. he was at about 102.6 degrees (YIKES). So I threw some cold packs on him, gave him cold water and Ibuprofen. Brian hates cold packs but it does help cool his body (he disagrees) and I needed to do something quick to get his temp under control. We had to call the on call doctor and we decided with her that he did not need to go to ER. She thought it might have something to do with chemo from Monday.

Tuesday morning we went in for chemo and they sent us straight down to see the doctor. There was some suspicion he might have to get admitted to the hospital- he was pretty sad. Since Brian has been running low grade fever's since Christmas and now spiked a high fever our doctor thought he might have some kind of infection viral or bacterial. He decided he did not have to get admitted (THANK GOD) and put him on a z-pak as well as give him IV anti-biotics to get the process going. We have given him Tylenol and ibuprofen around the clock to keep his temp down. He has gone about 9 hours without medication and a normal temp but has just started to creep up again.

Once again with all of his appointments he nor I had time to nap yesterday so we were pretty exhausted all day since we were up all morning. Last night we gave him Tylenol and ibuprofen PM to help him sleep and keep his temp down. We both were out like lights! Today we went back into the office to get some anti-nausea meds and fluids via IV. Our doctor said the last thing we need on top of this fever is for him to be sick to his stomach and dehydrated. Luckily, they squeezed us in at radiation so we were able to do everything at once today and could come home and rest. It is wonderful having a free afternoon to run to the pharmacy, pick up groceries, and nap. I have been running on low lately so I snuck away for 30 min to get a quick massage at the place next to our house. It was just what I needed to help me relax and rejuvenate in order to take care of Brian. I came home and Brian said WOW you seem to be much better, I laughed because I felt a lot better. My body was beat up from staying up to watch Brian with his fever and attempting to sleep in a 20 year old recliner.

Brian will just have radiation tomorrow and then will go back in for more fluids/anti-nausea meds on Friday. Hopefully, if we can stay on top of everything we will have a smooth end to the week.

Pray that he can fight whatever is going on and stay hydrated!

As always, thank you all for your support, kind words, and prayers.

P.S. A shout out to Mrs. Smith's 2nd grade class. Thanks for the cool cards and comments on the blog!

Also, there are pictures under Jan. 1

5 comments:

  1. Ok ,aside from the fact that I look pregnant in the pic of us.. haha! I LOVED the pictures of Brian & Belle!! Made me laugh out loud!
    Praying for both of you eacn and every day!!! LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!
    You take care. Drink those fluids. Miss you,
    We went to bingo tonight, won 42.50.
    that was a new experience,
    Keep staying strong.We love you,
    Aunt Rosie, Uncle Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! Especially love the picture of Belle in the basket! Brian is a pet magnet!
    Sorry to hear about his fever spikes. We will keep praying for his recovery. We love you guys!
    Mom Harter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer about the fever issues.
    Keep feeling better and resting up.

    Love you lots,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are in good hands at Methodist. I stayed there for 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days after my episodes back in 1996. Many wonderful doctors, nurses, therapist and even HILARIOUS SHRINKS, helped me through a very rough patch. I was in a Huge room on the 6th floorall by myself. I have heard many changes have taken plasce since my stay. I still have contact with my physical therapist. I hope you might have some assistance and wonderful care from Jennifer of Boone. I really bonded with her. She was home teaching her girls and working nights either on the Younkers side or IA Methodist side.

    I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your friends. That's tough to swallow. They are safely in God's care and have no more struggles.

    Let's keep the temperature down, PLEASE!

    I think of both of you everyday, I wish I drove as I'd be down in a heartbeat to see you,

    Keep us posted and Lots of prayers and love go out to you both.

    Cousin Bridgett

    ReplyDelete