Wednesday, March 9, 2011

lessons for the road

Well I finished one journey...starting another. I leave tomorrow for a quick weekend get away to South Bend, IN. Fighting IRISH- Brian despises the Irish of Notre Dame- not sure why but he said it goes way back in the family. Anyways, I'm going to watch the coolest kid I know play hockey. He is a super star!

As I just returned from one journey here are things I learned:
1) when one road trips it is probably a good idea to watch the gas level in your car (day one trouble repeat experience on last day)
2) Music should NOT be contained to any level
3) It is acceptable to dance and sing while driving
4) Before driving across country it is probably a good idea to check and see if you need an oil change
5) Check the weather so that in case it rains you can fix your windshield wiper before you drive into torrential rain
6) If you have any problems call Barry at Firestone in Nashville and tell him his SHERO sent you (AKA me)
7) Throw all rules out the window and just have fun, change can be good!

Back to the SHERO... um about halfway to Nashville I realized my car was due for an oil change (by due um like past due- that was Brian's job one of the many that didn't get done in his last few months (also clean the showers, I hate doing that I really wish he would have done that one last time).  So when I got to Nashville I saw a Firestone downtown so on Saturday I dropped my car off.  I met Barry-who is AWESOME- and as he was looking up my car we got to talking.  He asked what I was doing, I told him, ''no clue just got in my car and drove.''  I told him I was on break from school, needed a vacation, I needed to discover myself, so I came down south.  He said, ''you drove down here alone with no plan'', I said 'yep' he said "girl you are my shero''. I laughed he then he hooked me up with free car check, tire rotation, and alignment. Barry you are my HERO. 

In other news, I went CRAZY today.  I'm in a huge changing point in my life.  I just lost my husband, I'm about to graduate from school and start a new job, who knows where I will live or what I will do. So lets just change everything.  EVEN MY HAIR.  I said good-bye to the long, fine, blonde locks and hello to the short, spunky bob.

My head feels a lot lighter because I chopped off 10+ inches.   I have always like medium to short hair but Brian loved long hair so I kept it long for him.  One time while we were in the hospital we met a lady who was just diagnosed with leukemia.  She was so scared and feared losing her hair.  I hugged her in the hall while she was crying and told her it was just hair, it will come back.  After that conversation with her I decided I wanted to donate my hair.  After our experience I have become a firm believer in donating blood so I figured the only thing else I can do is donate my hair (oh and now my bone marrow, I also would love to donate a kidney if it will help someone).

 As I told her, it is just hair, it will grow back.  Why not?  Why not, give someone the confidence and self-esteem to get through a hard time such as cancer.  If a blonde wig does that, then I will donate it as often as I can.  I felt so helpless the entire time Brian had cancer and doing acts such as this lets me think I can provide a tiny fraction of help to others. 

I thought it would weird and hard to see all that hair go.  But as it got shorter the more I didn't mind.  It really did not phase me a bit.  I need something new so lets hope a 'new do' will do. 

On a side bar- last night I did squats, push-ups, planks, and sit-ups (so I ate two brownies tonight).  Tomorrow I hope to curb my fear and hit the streets for a jog.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, your hair is gorgeous! I love the way it suits you! I just cut all mine off as well but it wasn't long enough to donate :(
    I'm so glad you're doing alright!

    PS. have you noticed in the second picture you posted of your hair that it appears you have a jello shot cup balancing on your head? If it was intentional, HA! cute!...if it was by accident, hopefully it'll give you a laugh ;)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new "DO". Cute as a button! Enjoy your new adventures!
    Hugs,
    Aunt Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey-
    Love the hair! Give me a call when you're ready to get together. Miss you!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The do looks good! Good thing you said something about getting the oil changed because I need to do that yet too. You continue to serve me with personal reminders when neccessary. I almost forgot to send in my green sheet from my last rotation and I instantly thought "Stacey or Kendall would have reminded me of this." Enjoy South Bend!

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hair is cute, I had to go back and look at the 2nd picture also. I thought that is a strange pose with a jello shot but then I realized it was your lamp! Funny picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the new hair style. My hair is to fine to be able to wear this style. Kudos for donating your locks. Enjoy your trip and I can't wait to hear all about the same.

    With Love,

    Cousin Bridgett

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU are B-E-A-uuutiful!! LOVE your hair!!! You sexy little thing you!! Love ky

    ReplyDelete