Monday, December 20, 2010

The excitement never ENDS!

Brian has been having such a rough go around this time with chemo. Saturday we were debating whether or not to go to his parents house for Christmas and finally late Saturday night I decided to do it. Brian hadn't been sick since the morning and had a few naps in so I loaded the car put him in it and drove home. I knew if we didn't leave at night we wouldn't go and I knew he really wanted to go but wasn't feel well. He was able to be with all of his family, but it was pretty exhausting for him. He was able to stomach real food too!

We got back early last night and Brian was pretty tired so I left him on the couch to do some Christmas shopping. When I got home I got him settled in for the night.....so I thought.

Around 11:30 pm I heard Brian get up to go tot he bathroom and a little while later I heard a CRASH. Not once, twice, possibly three and even four- we aren't sure he doesn't remember and I was in the back room. I heard him yell my name so I went to check on him and my sister and I found him in the hallway. He had some issues and passed out 4 times within about 5 min. trying to get to the back bedroom. We sat him up in a chair, I took some vitals and decided a trip to the ER was necessary. I guess it is good I'm in med school!! Since he kept going in and out I put my gait belt on him and Allison and I carried him to the car- he really couldn't walk at all.
During one 0f the falls he twisted his foot so grabbed an ice pack for the car ride.

Once we got to ER there was no waiting- I guess a good thing about being a chemo pt. there is no wait! We were rushed to the triage area, scary! By then he was looked and felt a lot better. They did an EKG and blood work which were all normal and then X-rayed his foot which was negative for broken bones. By then he had an IV and was back to normal. The ER DR. decided he was severely dehydrated from accumulation of chemo and being sick to his stomach. We got him home after a quick stop at hy-vee for EVERY color of Gatorade- yep every color! I camped Brian next to the bathroom so he could crawl to it. By 4 am we were in bed. We both got up around 12pm today. Brian hopped to his couch- go figure and asked what was for dinner around 2 pm. All is well now and he is back to normal...well he has a GIANT swollen foot.

He has had 6 Gatorade's today so we are staying hydrated. The problem is he couldn't keep much down and then the chemo makes stuff taste like metal so he can't eat or drink a lot because the taste makes his stomach even more upset.

Good thing there is a PT in the family! He is resting on the couch all day with ice and his leg elevated.

Tomorrow starts radiation and lets hope it will be less exciting then the past week.

Brian wanted to try to go back to work Wed. but we will see how his body is doing after this week.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no, sorry to hear this. Get stronger buddy!
    Rest, drink, sleep, drink, rest.
    TAKE CARE.
    Glad no broken bones.
    Stacey and Allison you guys are great.
    Love,
    Aunt Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank the Lord that you're feeling better, except for your foot :( bummer.
    Remember when you twisted your ankle in rec in HS and tied your shoe tight to make it through the day then ole' Doc tried shoving your swollen foot into a tiny brace. haha.

    Rest up lots and drink lots!

    Love you, Linds

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUGS to all of you. I feel so helpless so far away, but know I'm there in spirit.
    Much Love,
    Aunt Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are so inspirational!

    Most people would just fall apart....it truly is inspiring following your story!

    Much love to all of you!

    Uncle Denny and Aunt Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers for all of you. It has been a rough December, lets pray things turn around soon. Lots of thanks for Stacey and her medical knowledge. Rest that foot up and drink plenty of fluids. Love you both, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete