Wednesday, December 29, 2010

oh what a game!

First of all GO HAWKS!!!!

What a nice way to end the season...a WIN. We stayed up all night and did not miss a moment and it was glorious. Brian and I sported our Hawk gear yesterday...hats, gloves, socks, pants, t-shirts, coats.

My older sister was visiting from San Diego so my parents came up on their way to Omaha to drop her off. We ate dinner at Tumea and Sons. We have some friends who recommended it. It was delicious. We were also able to hang with our friend Peter before he moves away. We will miss him a lot but wish him the best of luck!

Brian has been trying to eat a lot this week since last time on chemo he did not tolerate food well. When we went to the Dr. today he had gained about 8 pounds. This is good because his pants are so big that Sunday when he was walking they fell down, it was funny but he almost fell and we don't need another broken bone.

We thought we were going to start chemo today but that was pushed back to Monday and Tuesday. Brian continues to have radiation every day. So far he has experienced no side effects (rash/burns). He is fatigued but it is accumulation of chemo, radiation, and hopping around on one foot. His foot has been bothering him at night. We aren't sure if he sleeps funny, if it is cramping, or what is going on.

Yesterday we met with the Orthopedic surgeon. The results of CT scan showed all 4 broken bones and one displaced bone. They decided not to do surgery because it would be so difficult to reach the bone it wouldn't be worth it. Brian got his hard cast put on and got to choose his color. We selected black for the hawks...I think we are going to puff paint a tiger hawk on tonight!

It is hard for Brian to get out of the house let alone get around the house but we have tried to take him somewhere everyday so that he isn't laying on the couch all day. Monday we went to Sam's club and yesterday we went to Walmart. I wanted him to be able to wheel a wheel chair around so he could get some exercise but all they had were those motorized carts. It is very entertaining to watch him go around with those things. He just follows behind me with it. He has figured out how to do a 360 turn instead of a 10 point turn. When I was at Walmart he drove off to look at video games and then came back behind me quietly. I kept hearing this sound so I turned around and there he was doing 360's by him self in the meat section. It was so funny, but it caught me off guard since I didn't know he had returned. Every time we moved the cart would make this humming sound...I can't keep a straight face when we go out shopping. It is fun and nice to go out and do normal stuff instead of stuck at home.

Happy New Year to you all!!! We will be at home taking it easy, we will have many more New Years to celebrate later on!

4 comments:

  1. Hi!!!! Shane left the t.v. on last night so I got to watch the rerun of the game at 4:33am, just in time to see the interception and touchdown. Shane is thrilled about the Hawks Brian, needless to say.

    How many miles per hour do those carts go? I just laugh thinking about Brian stalking you in WalMart...too funny! Maybe next time he could race an elderly person on their cart :)

    The boys really wish they could sign the cast, I asked Stacey to put our initials on there for us, since it will be a while until we see you again (bummer). Thank God surgery wasn't needed.

    Wish we could ring in the New Year with you; but your right Stacey, you two will have many more New Year's to come. I believe 2011 will be a year of blessings and healings for you two. I am certainly praying for that.

    Much Love,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just laugh everytime I picture Brian in that motorized cart, learning tricks and (perhaps?) testing the top speed!??!

    Think about you two everyday!

    Happy New Year! Way to go Hawks!!!!

    Ashley Alm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to let you know I love you and your wife tons! And if you ever need any black dress shoes Andrew has some great show choir ones! hahaha!!! Can't wait to see you guys again!

    Mandi & Belle ;)

    Oh, and the music on your blog gets me every time! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year!!
    Love,
    Aunt Rosie

    ReplyDelete