Monday, July 26, 2010

I have discovered the key to RBC recovery

The week after chemo Brian's cell counts drop. I give him a shot daily for 7 days to boost cell growth however Brian has trouble with his Red Blood Cells. RBC's have hemoglobin which bind oxygen that is carried all over the body for oxygenation. When Brian's RBC's are low he gets tired, sluggish, fatigued, short of breath, etc. The blood transfusion helps but I would like to go with minimal transfusions as possible. Medically, we were told there is nothing you can do to help stimulate RBC's, however, after every round except for the first one and third one I have fed Brian well cooked (he can't consume raw meat) steak for 2-3 nights in a row. Every time I have done this he has escaped a blood transfusion so I think it works! :).




Friday, we had flat iron steak with grilled veggies, sat. he had a big juicy burger, and tonight he had steak with Maytag blue cheese, balsamic beef sauce, acorn squash, and fresh steamed broccoli. YUM! I actually don't eat much red meat but every 21 days I do! Steak for 2-3 meals is outweighed by the tremendous amount of BERRIES, salads, and fresh vegetables he eats for the other meals. If we have a slight increase in our LDL's we will know why.




In other news, Brian is doing well. He has been having some jaw pain which is a side effect of his shots. That usually subsides when he is done with all of his shots. He has only been tired and fatigued when we have been out grocery shopping or at the farmers market. He was even able to take the garbage out as well as unload the dishwasher... YIPPIE!



I wish I could post more pictures but we are having technical difficulties with our camera (and our Garmin so if we don't make it to your event that is why!) If you are technical person please lend your expertise. Below are some pictures that I have stolen from facebook.





This is my best friend Abby, she has been awesome. She came one weekend when Brian was in the hospital and hung out with me. It was nice to have someone there to visit with when Brian was sleeping. We got pizza, ice cream, subs, movies...had fun!



Brian and I stopped for a pose during dancing!




The beautiful bride and my college roommate FIDD!



Abby, Garmen, and I! Gar Gar Binks lived next door to us in college. She mailed us cookies so that we got them the first day Brian got out of the hospital after round 1.



Our friends, Nic and Jessica, had a photo booth at their wedding!



Group shot at Nic and Jessica's wedding.





Who knows what we were dancing too, but it clearly it required focus!



Brian and Chad!

Hopefully, I can steal some more pictures or figure out our camera.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet pictures! Can't wait to see you tomorrow. Bring your camera and Garmin along and hopefully between the seven of us someone can figure it out.

    Allison's saying of the week:
    I wanna celebrate and live my life.

    Catchy song...but it reminds me of Brian.

    xoxo
    Al

    ReplyDelete