Friday, September 24, 2010

Day Two of new chemo

Well we made it to day two of the new chemo. We originally thought we would be in the hosp. till Tuesday but good news we are breaking out early tomorrow morning. We should be home for kickoff at 11am (THANK GOD not another week in the hosp. with no IOWA game and just a radio.)

This chemo is tough, Brian slept most of the day Thursday. Chemo is accumulating and making him worn out. Yesterday was rough but we are back mentally and physically and ready to fight. We know we are on the right path and are confident we will make it to transplant. Brian got up this morning and got a couple miles in before I went to school for my test. This morning it was sticky bun day. YUM! It seems like every time we hit a bump the next day is sticky bun day and we get to have some yummy comfort food. The thought of hospital food makes Brian nauseous (after 8 weeks of the same thing he can no longer eat it). We never eat fast food, ever, and last night we gave in to McDonald's chicken selects and Mc Flurry's because it was the only thing that Brian wanted (and that was even hard to get him to think about eating). Last night the nurses snuck us some ice cream and cake (a few of the nurses are getting married and they had a party). Once again more comfort food! The nurses and aids on Powell 3 are like family now, for some reason when you have a bad day it is nice to get off the elevator and see their faces, especially when they yell "YOU"RE BACK"!

Today Brian was having trouble eating again so I brought him a wrap from the DMU cafeteria, I had to encourage him HARD to eat it before his McFlurry so he could get some nutrients (that is hard, because I'm usually taking away food from Brian now I'm trying to shovel as much of it in as I can). This weekend we are going to make homemade milk shakes/pritchard PB cup flurry's with some nutritional powders mixed in so that Brian gets some good stuff in him.

I think the next few rounds we will bringing/ordering food in, anything to get him to eat.

I told him that someday when I'm pregnant it will be the same as him. I will be craving foods...puking, sleeping, and grumpy. Now he will just understand how I feel! You have to look lighter at situations.

Tonight we are taking it easy so we can bust out early. Chemo should be done around 5 am however, I'm making Brian wait till the sun is out so that we can make a pit stop at the farmers market. Then we will be I-O-W-A all day long followed by lots of sleep.

Thank you all for your comments. I have to tell you Brian checks hourly because comments really lift him up so keep them coming. We can't believe how much you all lifted us up, we could feel the prayers and all the texts encouraged us to keep trucking. We have been reading a lot of scriptures online, yes products of the 21st century, reading the Bible online. It is easier to pick us up by prayers and comments then by phone now a days. It gets to be overwhelming, so don't be upset if we don't answer, we just need a break.

PLEASE keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Pray that this new chemo works and we go to Iowa City. We need all of our prayers warriors out there!

6 comments:

  1. Brian and Stacy,

    A big hug filled hello from your cousin Bridgett in Fort Dodge. I have been praying daily for you and will continue to do so. Next week my spiritual advisor from Nashville will be paying me a visit and I know we will spend hours discussing the Lord and I will ask him to pray a sprcial prayer with me for you. He is a amazing individual anf has seen me through many health issues. He ministers to people all across the country and lifts many apirits and for those that doubt they do no more after meeting this AMAZING individual. I think he will be here only a few days visiting with his family. I so wish I myself could make everything all better for you. Brian I am now 6 years cancer free, I was in the same boat as your Mother and after a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation treatments 5 days a week and also a oral chemo pill 2 x daily for 5 years, I have conquered the battle of breast cancer for now. I am so thankful and at the time of my battle though it was difficult at times. It was more important that I not show defeat and turn something so negative into something positive. I never chose to quit or give up even on the dark days of having no energy and feelings of despair as I wanted so badly to do things but my body would not allow me to on many days. Keep talking and praying to God and he will see you through this difficult battle. I would love to come visit someday. I do not drive as I am disabled, however, I may surprise you someday and show ip with assistance from an earth angel. I will of course, call first to see if you are excepting visitors. Please yake very good care and you will remain in my prayers and in my heart.

    Lovingly,

    Bridgett Carlson-Keim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys-
    thanks for the update.....rest.....and know we are thinking of you constantly. Your faith will pull you through. That's cool that
    you are so "techie" you can read the Bible on line. Watch for a
    verse to jump right out at you. That's what will happen.
    LOL. From Gladbrook.
    Aunt Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brian and Stacey,
    Wanted to let you know that I'm following your blog, and praying for you!
    Erin Fisher (Callahan)

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.hopewdm.org/Daily_Bible_Readings_2010.htm

    Stacey and Brian-
    here is a link that HOPE has on their website for daily Bible readings. they are short daily things that we can do to keep our minds on the LORD!! Todays was AWESOME about prayer I think it was James 5:13-18. If you cannot get this web link to work email me and I will send it over email. I just figured I would post this cause Stacey said Brian checks it like every hour! Keep your heads up guys and we will be praying for you!!

    Blake and Jodi Reinke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know we think about you guys all the time! We try to say a prayer every day for you! Keep up the strength and the positive attitude. You are amazing people!
    Love Sam and Karissa Kreassig

    P.S. Go Hawks and go Panthers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep the food coming Brian, you need the nutrition to have the energy to continue to overcome this bump in the road. You might need to come up with some "weird combinations" a favorite of mine was "Claussen" dill pickles (you know the expensive kind), with vegetable cream cheese and wheat thins. . . it sounds kindof weird but it was some calories when nothing else even remotely sounded good. Really enjoy your blog and the updates, cancer is a lot of bumps in the road but you will overcome them. Take Care my friend and know that many people are praying for you and cheering you and Stacey on to get that next treatment in Iowa City. Take care. Sherri Squires

    ReplyDelete