Sunday, August 1, 2010

Don't Worry Be Happy

I have had kind of a rough week because of all of the uncertainty with my treatments. We went to Iowa City on Wednesday and they told Stacey and I that they are going to be switching up my treatment. Approximately 90% of my cancer is gone and instead of the cancer being in 6 or 7 places in my body it is just in one area under my armpit. We are going to see some Doctor's tomorrow about other treatment options and things should be more definitive by tomorrow night. I am very lucky that I have a cancer where there are many treatment options. I am very blessed. The ultimate goal and aim is still the same. Be cancer free and stay cancer free. But I have definitely had some anxiety about everything. On top of that because of the Chemo I had not been feeling very well so it was easier for me to get down about things. I found myself worrying about random things constantly. I would go several hours and not think about things but then some thought would pop into my head and I would start worrying again. Worrying and doubt and fear are like seeds that get planted into your head. Once you go down that route the seed grows like a weed and begins to fester in your mind. It can be consuming.

By Friday I felt better physically and that gave me a boost mentally too. I can be hard to be uplifting and positive all of the time when your not feeling the best and so when you are feeling good you really need to take advantage of it. It was like I had a switch go off in my head over the weekend. I need to stop worrying about things that I have no control over. All I can do is just stay positive, pray and take it one day at a time. Sure there are going to be times when I am anxious or fearful but it does no good for me to worry. I literally am going no where by worrying. Worrying can pretty much hinder your ability to do everything if you let it. I prayed for strength and talked with family, friends and my wonderful wife and came to the conclusion that I just need to let go of all my worries because it was not letting me do the one thing that I have been trying to do this whole time and that it keep the faith. I needed to focus on one thing at a time, live for today and just be happy. If I did those three things then no matter what I will have a positive mindset.

My mom always says that we need to "Let Go and Let God". What that means is that we need to give our cares and worries up to God. Worry about nothing and instead pray about everything.

Don't worry be happy!

Brian Pritchard

3 comments:

  1. Hi Brian,
    Thanks for opening up your thoughts. You are very brave and strong. One thing that works for me when worries come is a "God Box". Write out your worries on a piece of paper and put in the God box. Then you've given it up to Him and you don't have to go back to it ever again. It also works for any and all prayers you have. HE WILL TAKE CARE OF IT. You are on the right track with your wisdom. We had fun at the reunion today with your folks and EVERYONE is thinking of you and PRAYING for you. Some stories to share when we see you which I hope is soon. Gentle thoughts are sent your way daily!
    Love,
    Aunt Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so truthful and wise. Life is a leaning process and you do an amazing job of learning and finding the positives in all things.
    Thank you for your insite.

    Oh, the things we learn from Mom :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Brian, I played the worrying game and the anxiety bothered me also. Just keep thinking of all the people who are rooting for you and ask God for peace. Worked for me. I'm in the midst of more tests and possibly some more chemo coming up. Not looking forward to it but I will do what the doctors recommed for me. I was a reunion crasher at the Henrichs reunion on Sunday. So good to see everyone. You have an awesome family--could be why you are so awesome. Keep the faith and allow yourself lots of sleep on the days you are down. Been thinking of you and wanted you to know that. Jo Ann Clausen

    ReplyDelete