Monday, November 15, 2010

Burning the midnight oil...

Brian is a working man today and tomorrow. He is trying to stay positive at work as much as possible, but at times can be difficult when you come and go as much as he does due to treatments. He will begin (lucky?!) number 11 Wed. for chemo. (that is right he will have to wear gloves to go in the fridge again...a guarantee smile on my face). This will again be outpatient. We will meet with the doctor first thing in the morning, look at his blood counts, then start chemo afterwards. Once he is settled in at the outpatient center I will run to class. Last time it was hard to leave him because it was his first time receiving chemo outpatient and I was very nervous/anxious since I had no clue what to expect. The nurses are just as friendly as Powell 3 and he has his own little chair with his own TV with his own snacks. Last time he watched Dan Patrick show all morning and fell asleep. Once he was asleep I threw some blankets on, gave him his lunch box, snacks, water/juice, and Kleenex then hit the road to study for a few hours. I think outpatient works well for Brian because he can sit there and talk to everyone around him.

I'm burning the midnight oil...all week. I have a big test Friday and Comps on Tuesday, no pressure. I'm trying to get as much in as I can but realize I can only do what I can and that is all. Taking a study break to post, sometimes can be therapeutic when you are reading about different illnesses.

Brian and I both love our doctor and his patient care is impeccable but we both get anxious when have to go see him. I'm starting to really become uneasy with the waiting area. I rather stand outside and wait to be called in. It is unsettling sitting in a lobby filled ( no PACKED) with people waiting to see an oncologist. Saturday night I was reading the prayer request at church and kid you not an entire sheet filled with prayer requests related to cancer. It makes you realize you are not alone as well as makes you HOPE for a cure to end all. Before all this I always thought in my mind cancer would never affect me, it wouldn't happen to my loved ones. However, I'm realizing more then likely we all will have some connection to cancer.

Through all of this though you learn what is important in life, you learn to cherish moments, and to not get upset over the small things. Last week was a dozey, we just got Brian's car back with a new engine and then mine tanked and needed repaired. Friday night I came home to a clogged sink that EXPLODED everywhere. Normally, I would be IRATE, and Brain himself said how I was handling all this on top of school (I may have had a margarita to help with my headache) but that is God's power in my life. My patience level has dramatically increased and I have learned not to sweat the things out of my control...rolling with the punches! (with that being said the level is close to being capped and I hope to make it to Thanksgiving without a major mental breakdown).

Thanks for you prayers, I get anxious during the day but can always feel a peace come over.

Keep the prayers coming, this is going to be the CHEMO that works!!!

Also, thanks for all the cards and letters. It is nice to hear words of inspiration every day. I wonder if our mailman is trying to figure out what is going that our box is constantly filled with hallmark cards...for the past 7 months?

Bands should be out in the mail by Tues/wed. and hopefully in your mailbox by gameday!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I was wondering exactly when your comps were, Stacey. We understand how huge this is and the stress you are under after watching our daughter go through the comps process, too. We will be praying for strength on chemo day and test day this week. And also praying for Round 11 to do its job! You two continue to teach us about keeping things in perspective, to put forth our best and trust God in what is out of our control. Reminds me of the saying "Let Go and Let God!"
    Carol Treloar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts/prayers.......you will be on our minds tomorrow
    and everyday. Blessings to you.

    From Gladbrook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your comps Stacey! Wishing the best for Brian's chemo!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete