Friday, November 5, 2010

Oh what a week!

I can honestly say this week has been an emotional roller coaster. We started off in a valley and ended the week at the very top!

All of this press has been a complete surprise, overwhelming, exciting, joyful, and FUN! When my mom gave Stanzi the band it was never intended that Brian and I would become the talk of Iowa. She did it out of joy in heart to try and put a smile on Brian's face and it did just that. When she called us to tell us that she gave one to Stanzi Brian's face lit up! We had spent the entire weekend cuddled on the couch overwhelmed with emotions, wet from tears, and praying for an answer from God. We were already thrilled from an amazing game and it was topped off with Stanzi wearing the band. Stanzi is not the only player to sport a band, Vandenburg and Davis are also wearing one as well. None of them have to and if they take it off it is ok! This week has been the most inspiring week of our lives.

We have read so many forums, blogs, articles about us and Stanzi, and although Stanzi is an amazing individual who is mature beyond his age I think the entire team should get credit too. Last spring three of Brian's friends came to me and asked to have a benefit in honor of Brian. At the benefit a friend of Brian's family presented him with signed ball and signed jersey. With a special connection on the team, a football was passed around practice or an autograph session with every one's signature. That there was enough for us. However, the team, led by Stanzi went above and beyond and are honoring Brian (although they don't know it!) by wearing his band

We don't want to be famous all we want is to share our story and the faith that has gotten us thus far. An added bonus would be if someone going through a similar situation finds comfort in our story. Through out this entire process we have learned so much about life and have done so at such a young age, which is a blessing. It is scary enough being newlyweds, living on one income, and 25 let alone batteling stage 4 cancer. The support everyone has shown Brian has taught me the importance of relationships. Brian always tells me not to burn bridges in life because you never know when you will walk over them. This can not be any more true as many people have sent us cards, prayers, and donations. He has gone further to teach me that although you are in a sticky situation keep your head above water, have faith, smile, and continue on. We both have learned together over the past 7 months what is important in life. Your car, house, TV, and clothes aren't buried with you, so why do they matter? What is important is your faith, family, and friends. Before all of this I would pass up time to spend with Brian in order to keep my nose in a book for grad school. Now, I make sure to take more time to spend with him and my family (you never get that time back). Although, I know I should have my head in a book if I have to make dinner for Brian I will do it. If Brian is not feeling well I will sit with him on the couch and watch sports (even though the cubs were at times unbearable to watch or there was nothing else on but Iowa women's softball, *if that doesn't contest to his love for the hawks I don't know what does).

I must say last Thursday when we found out Brian's cancer had spread I was mad. I didn't understand why God wasn't hearing my prayers...but after Wednesday night God began to reveal part of his plan for us. I've said it before and will continue to say it, it is hard not being in control and waiting for God. This week has rejuvenated us (after we are on round 10) and made us ready to fight harder then ever before. We feel now like we have an entire state rallying behind us. You may think this seems silly, but when you are battling cancer a simple hallmark card can get you through the day. We have had such an unbelievable amount of support that yesterday as I drove home from school I found myself in tears of Joy. Just when you think things are getting bad people you have never met send you an email offering prayers and kind words and it lifts you up. I can't believe the amount of people who have emailed us and sent us donations. In my eyes that is so courageous, you don't know us, you live in FL we live in Des Monies, Iowa and you felt it in your heart to reach out to us. You all will never know the amount of hope you have put in our hearts. Brian has had a smile from one ear to the other since Wednesday night and for that I'm forever grateful. I would do anything to make each and every day special for him and with the help of our families and everyone out there you have done that this week.

I spent the evening with Brian watching college football and part of the NBA game until he fell asleep. I began to study (yes it is 11 at night and I'm studying but that is when I have time) and felt it in my heart to write you all and tell you how much I appreciate everything, especially Marc Morehouse from the Gazette and Andy Garman from KCCI for sharing our story with you all.

* quick update on Brian. He is feeling so/so today, he took many naps today which helps him recover after chemo. His bones are starting to bother him which is a common side effect from the shots I give him every night. He took his pain pills and was quickly out on the couch. A side effect from this chemo is cold sensitivity. Our doctor warned us for him not to touch anything out of the fridge/freezer and no ice in his drinks. It is kind of funny because I have to keep gloves by the fridge in case he needs to get anything out. He is stuck with bottled water at room temp. He is going to attempt work next week and will have to be careful in the mornings to make sure his mouth and nose are covered up because breathing in cold air can affect him. For all you new readers as long as Brian feels well and his blood counts are up he works 8 hour days. Prior to this week he was usually out for one week, worked two weeks, then back out for a week. That is pretty amazing as he has been on some HARD chemo. He is a fighter however and gives it his all everyday!

Thanks for being part of our story,
Stacey Pritchard

7 comments:

  1. 'And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been
    called according to his purpose.'
    Romans 8:28

    Great post Stacey!
    Best wishes with your studying.

    God is good, All the time!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norfolk, Virginia is behind you 100%!

    Love,

    Uncle Denny and Aunt Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian & Stacey, just wanted to say hello again. I'm watching Pokemon now and then will be watching FOOTBALL later! My mom and I wanted you to know that we are thinking about you and have our fingers and toes crossed for you to get better soon!
    Your friend, Ryan from Mrs. Smith's class

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey and Brian what a wonderful article in the C.R. Gazette today. It will bring more awareness and what a gift it truly is. I'm watching the Hawkeye game and thinking of you both all along with prayer during commercials. I hope your day is as wonderful as the two of you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Brian and Stacey,
    My name is Cyndi and I am a friend and co worker of Brian's mother Angie, Just wanted to let you know I have added your page to my favorites and check in to see how you are doing. I read your story in the Gazette this morning and cried while reading it. I also noticed it online and have recommened to others on my Facebook page. (hope that is ok)Thought it would be another way to get the word out about this disease and encourage otheres who may be going through the same thing. Praying for you and your family. When I get discouraged I try to remember your moto..Just Try and Ruin My Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Brian & Stacey,
    Just a note to say hi. You are on are minds all the time. What a week
    it has been for you. Stay strong and know how many are with you in
    this fight. You are amazing people and we love you.
    Thanks for sharing so much with us. We learn something from you everyday.
    Love,
    Uncle Russ and Aunt Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  7. God Bless you both. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete