Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thankfully, Brian was able to start chemo yesterday. He was disappointed that he couldn't start on Wednesday and we were thinking it was going to be more like Monday. However, his body responded well and his platelets jumped up so we had the green light on Friday. I had a test that morning so when I got his call and finished my test I went to go pick him up some Manhattan Deli (if you are ever in DSM it is a must stop). All the nurses kept coming to his side because his lunch looked so good! I spent 4 hours with him then went home to study. However, by the time I got home I hit the couch and slept for 3.5 hours. My body was exhausted from studying (it is still not cooperating today either).

This was his second time receiving this regiment and it is always easier to prepare knowing you had it before. Although, he knew what to expect this round was a lot harder physiologically on him. It kind of almost stopped him in his tracks. He was done around 5pm and by 7-7:30 he was not feeling well. He said he felt like he got hit by a truck. He took a shower to see if that would help but within 30 minutes he was right back to being miserable. He tried to sleep with no success. I could hear him all night rolling around. Finally, around 6am he just got up showered, put dishes away (that is how I know he really wasn't feeling well, he was cleaning!), and made omelette's with little smokies (not sure on that choice of breakfast but whatever you can eat I guess).

Today he has been sleeping on and off. Trying to get as much sleep as he can but he is just not comfortable overall! Poor guy, I hate that I had to leave him to go study. Hopefully, he can make it through the Iowa game.

Yesterday we got word that Brian's sister was a match for his bone marrow transplant. Our efforts now are really focused on KILLING THIS BEAST so we can move on to the next phases. It is somewhat comforting knowing things are moving on.

We have another HUGE prayer request. Through all of this we have had many friends in similar situations. Our friend Carolyn and her family, who also has NHL and had a stem cell transplant, has a had a rough week. Carolyn's husband had not been feeling well for a while and recent tests showed he had small cell carcinoma on his liver. He was admitted up to Powell 3 started chemo but they are still trying to find the main tumor. PLEASE PRAY FOR THEIR FAMILY. I can't imagine going through cancer twice and at the same time. They are such amazing people and have given Brian and I a lot of hope through our faith. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Thanks for your prayers, we couldn't do this without all of your words of encouragement
.

2 comments:

  1. You and your wife are amazing. Sending lots of love and prayers your way! I was also wondering how that roasted chicken (right?) was coming along? (Stacey mentioned you wanting to send one to Andrew...haha!) You are the best!
    Love you both!
    -Mandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness... I was skimming your blog and got to the part where you said you attend Hope in WDM. I was at the 16th bday 9 am service, visiting. (Your church is a lot like mine in Cedar Falls.) That evening I was reading the prayer requests from the bulletin and thought the same as you! So many, many cancer patients. Then, I recognized the name of a college pal of mine! I believe in God*winks (not coincidences) and used that opportunity to send an encouraging note to my friend.
    I got your blog link from Aunt Rose R and have added you & your family to my prayer list. You're correct. God is good and mighty and He will see you through this season. Be blessed abundantly!
    Diane O

    ReplyDelete